Canon Collins invites applications for the Thekgo Bursary. In 2019, in response to the new funding of Higher Education by the South African government, the Canon Collins Thekgo Bursary has been restructured from providing registration fee for first year students to providing bursaries that alleviate undergraduate students’ debt. Students who have completed their undergraduate/Honours studies, but their degree certificates/academic records have been withheld due to outstanding debt owed to the university, can apply for debt relief of up to R10,000 in the following disciplines:
- Languages and Literature
- Media Studies
- Gender Studies
- Arts (Digital Arts, Drama/Performance Studies, Visual Arts/Fine Arts, History of Art, Film and Television Studies, Music)
For 2019 academic year, these bursaries will only be awarded to completed undergraduate students who have already missed at least one graduation due to outstanding debt with a university in KwaZulu-Natal Province only up to an amount of R10 000.
Eligible institutions are:
- Durban University of Technology
- University of Kwazulu-Natal
- University of Zululand
- Mangosuthu University of Technology
Applications will not be considered for other courses or institutions.
Are you eligible?
- be a national of, or have refugee status in any African country.
- have completed undergraduate studies (three year or four year Bachelor or Honours degree) in a degree programme within Thekgo’s focus disciplines in the Humanities, listed above, at a public university in Kwazulu-Natal province in South Africa.
- have missed one graduation already and was not able to receive the degree due to outstanding debt not exceeding R10,000 owed to the university
- have made a payment of at least 10% of outstanding debt within three months of the application deadline
- demonstrate academic merit
- demonstrate financial need
What we offer
We usually dispense about 5-7 bursaries per year depending on the number of applicants. The selection committee decides on the actual amount that will be awarded to individual successful applicants.
How to apply
We are now open for applications. Download the application_form, save a copy on your computer, and fill it in. You must return the form to the Canon Collins office by email to email@example.com along with your supporting documents. Please read the guidelines for applying for more information on eligibility and selection criteria before applying.
The deadline for applications is 31st March 1019 at 11pm GMT. Late applications will not be considered.