Empowering youth through social entrepreneurship
Durham Business School
Commerce, Innovation / IT
- Steven was born in Ermelo, Mpumalanga. Due to pressures at home, Steven herded cattle until the age of 11, at which point he started his school career.
- Even after starting school, times were hard, and Steven made ends meet by polishing shoes in town during weekends and school holidays, as well as dabbling in organising beauty pageants and selling sweets at school to raise money for his upkeep. These adversities would turn into the building blocks of one of his professional passions – skills development.
- In 2006 Steven was awarded the prestigious Nelson Mandela Scholarship to study for a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) in the UK.
- Through this scholarship, Steven got to meet the global icon Nelson Mandela on two occasions – a life-changing experience that bolstered his spirit to succeed.
- Steven is currently employed in Barclays Africa’s Private Banking Division as the Head of Sales Enablement. He is responsible for Value Management, Client Experience, Service Centre, Channel Interfaces and driving strategic projects within the South Africa market of Private Banking
- Steven devotes his spare time to Youth Development – having established The Youth Leadership and Entrepreneurship Development NGO which has empowered up to 5 000 young people since 2004.
- Connect with Steven on Twitter or Facebook
- Read Steven's reflections on Youth Day 2016.
Being awarded the prestigious Nelson Mandela Scholarship to study towards a Masters of Business Administration (MBA) in the UK and meeting the global icon Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela.
Business management and social entrepreneurship
Head of Sales Enablement at Barclays Africa